I love storms. I always have. I remember being a kid and getting all excited when I saw dark clouds on the horizon. My parent's farm had an open view of the north and west skies (where the storms came from), so I could watch them approach from a distance (not Kansas distance, but still). There was that great sense of foreboding, even if the storm missed us a bit. The trees with dark clouds behind looked terrific and you could see lots of lightening. It was great.
Well, all that is gone now. Part of the problem is that I live in a big city and you really can't get a good long distance view without a bunch of buildings getting in the way. However, I really blame the easy accessibility to weather radar for ruining storms for me.
It is now way to easy to analyze every aspect of the approaching storm, in real time, while it is still a full state away. If it is clear the storm will not hit us, then I am disappointed early. If the storm looks like it will hit us and never does, I am disappointed later. At least when I was looking at the actual sky, I could still think that storm was going to shoot straight over and I would get a great show. The precision made available to us through technology has killed that little hope.
I suppose it's for the best, but still, I kinda miss the good old days when gauging the weather involved walking outside and ... looking up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment