I am a regular biker (by biker I mean bicycles, not motorcycles). In the summer I bike nearly every day, to and from work, to the beach, on errands, etc. I have found that in general, drivers in Chicago are mindful and respectful of bikes. Occasionally someone is not paying attention and does something stupid and I have to react to avoid them. More commonly, people just don't consider how their actions may impact others (like double parking in the bike lane) and I have to deal with that too. However, for the most part drivers are good. Rarely does someone blatantly honk at me or indicate that I should not be occupying "their" road.
Most of the other bicyclists I see on the road, however, frequently and wantonly disobey traffic laws, bike recklessly, and generally express the opinion that it is the drivers' responsibility to avoid hitting the bikers, irregardless of that biker may do. This annoys me...considerably. I just want the respect I deserve when on the road, and others bikers who disregard traffic laws give everyone else a bad reputation. I can understand why drivers might get frustrated with the bikers. In fact, I hear of a biker fatality and my first thought is always, "well, did he pull out in front of a car? Did the car have the right of way? Did he run a light?" Often, the answer to one of these questions is yes, and then part of me says, "well, maybe he deserved it."
So tonight the critical mass ride went past my house. There were a considerable number of bikers - fine. They were having a good time, some of them were playing music, it looked like fun - fine. Many of them had LED lights on - terrific. They were completely occupying the driving lane in one direction - fine, technically they are still obeying traffic laws, and doing something unique at the same time. As the density of the bikers increased, I noticed many were crossing the yellow line and straying into oncoming traffic - not cool. At maximum density, they were significantly impeding traffic going the other way - really not cool. From my window I can see the intersection of two pretty major roads. I notice that one of the bikers is standing in the middle of the intersection holding his bike over his head. - very much not cool. The bikers are continuing across the intersection irregardless of the traffic light and right of way, they are blocking all the cars, drivers trying to turn, drivers on North/South road (they were riding down the East/West road), and ignoring the traffic light - really, incredibly not cool.
I understand that critical mass is intended to increase awareness of biking, to make drivers "see" that bikes have a major presence on the road and should be respected. However, I also see a crowd of bikers demonstrating their wanton disregard of traffic laws. I see a bunch of bikers saying "f**k you, cars. We can do whatever we want and you have to put up with it. We don't care about your rights on the road." Well, f**k you right back you hippie wanker bikers. You are giving me, an otherwise responsible biker, a bad name. You are giving people on bikes everywhere a bad name. You and all those bikers who run red lights, who ride down crosswalks and on crowded sidewalks. You are the reason drivers on the road have trouble respecting the rights of the biker. As far as I am concerned you are making it worse for everyone who bikes on the street, in traffic. You are not helping. You are certainly increasing awareness. I am now aware that the average Critical Mass bike rider is a prick who is convinced they are entitled to do whatever the f**k they want on the road. The cars will just have to stay out of their way. You are just as bad if not worse than every driver that has ever honked at me for riding on the street, every driver that has not understood that bikes have as much right to the road as they do. I hate you and your stupid Critical Mass ride. You should just go away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
100% agree.
Here is a website that agrees as well:
www.CriticalMassSucks.com
Post a Comment